If you are not receiving the right wages, overtime compensation, or you are forced to work in the unsafe or hostile environment, it is time to contact an employment lawyer in Key West to protect your rights and provide professional legal representation.
All employees have rights. If you are busy working and trying to make a living, the complexity of Federal and State Employment laws can be confusing. The Department of Labor enforces nearly 180 laws which encompass the following areas to protect workers:
- Wages & Hours – Fair Labor Standards Act
- Workplace Safety & Health – Occupational Safety and Health (Osh) Act
- Workers Compensation – Federal Acts such as the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act and the Black Lung Benefits Act. Florida State Law Chapter 440
- Employee Benefit Security – regulation for Income Security
- Unions & Members – Labor Management and Disclosure Act
- Employee Protection – OSHA and Whistleblower cases
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- Garnishment of Wages
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
- Veterans’ Preference
- Government Contracts, Grants, or Financial Aid
- Migrant & Seasonal Agricultural Workers
- Mine Safety & Health
- Plant Closings & Layoffs
The United States Government has jurisdiction on matters that relate to employers and employees in Key West.
Aside from the above laws, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) ensures non-discrimination in employment. They can also protect your rights involving wrongful termination, sexual harassment as well as discrimination based on race, gender or sexual orientation.
Florida Statutes Title XXXI also has laws that protect workers from wrongful acts of employers. For example Chapter, 450 of the Florida Statutes protects Children and Migrant workers from work related issues with employers. Key West Municipal Code (Code 1986, § 72.26(b)) and (Code 1986, § 72.26(c)) protects employees from Sexual Harassment and Observance of Religious Beliefs.
Every day thousands of Key West citizens make an honest living. Many do not realize that if they are unfairly treated and are entitled to compensation. An employer may pretend to be kind however you may not realize you are being taken advantage of by them.
When you are involved in a dispute with an employer, the best way to resolve the situation is an experienced employment lawyer in Key West.
The legal process can be complicated. The process is often exhausting, and an experienced lawyer is necessary. Discovery, hearings, depositions, negotiations, and trials require a knowledgeable employment litigation lawyer. With the necessary skills and experience to help clients the results you desire Contact employment attorney Todd W. Shulby in Key West today and schedule a consultation.